[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:19:54 EDT 2007

On Aug 28, 2007, at 8:56 AM, William McKeehan wrote:

> Has anyone thought about adding a scripting capability within Xastir?

We're on unix, so it's already there - it's called perl. (:

> An example of the type of thing that I'm thinking about would be
> keeping track
> of how many runners have pasted a particular point. An Xastir
> station at that
> particular point would execute this script which would prompt for a
> number.
> The user would enter a number and the script/Xastir would handle
> the rest. The
> rest could be creating and sending a message to the NCS station
> with the
> updated information or it could be creating an object using this
> information.

I could see this trivially handled in a perl script.  If there are
electronic methods for counting, it would be easy to generate reports
automatically (maybe as some sort of signpost object, with the number
being the # of runners who have passed?)

> Am I off my rocker or is this an idea worth considering?

I've got perl scripts that both generate and consume APRS data using
xastir's server port.  I need to update the "generate" scripts to use
xastir's UDP client program to make gating to RF easier.

-Jason
kg4wsv