[Xastir] Kiss Shell script help please

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Tue Aug 28 23:50:33 EDT 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Tony Hunt wrote:

> On the Celeron 366 laptop they execute fine but do not terminate. I have to
> Kill them manually from a console. I can watch them with "top" . Using the
> exact same scripts on the same Operating system (DSL) on a Athlon 1800
> desktop and a mobile Pentium M 1600 laptop these scripts run and terminate
> fine..
>
> Whats wrong here ? Below is a sample of a script.. Each machine uses the
> same OS same Kernel and same scripts .. The odd thing out seems to be the
> Celeron 366 laptop .
> I am using Damm Small Linux v 3.4.1 live from a USB stick which is 2.4.26
> Debian Kernel .
>
> #!/bin/sh
> # KissOn for Com1 TNC2 MFJ etc
> stty 9600 cs8 -parenb -crtscts -F /dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo -e "\r kiss on\r restart\r" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> exit 0

  I'm no expert here, but I would look closely at '-crtscts', which is
asking for hardware handshaking.  Laptop serial ports are sometimes only
partially implemented, shall we say?  Does it support the handshake?  Does
your cable include the handshake lines?

The script may be fine.  It may simply be waiting for permission to send
the first byte.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin