[Xastir] Re: Problems plotting positions in Xastir downloaded from a RINO

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 5 09:28:58 EST 2007

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> I seem to be getting packets from GPSMan in Xastir, but they are not
> plotting.  If I look at the two tables in "View>All Stations" and
> "View>Own Objects & Items",  I see "14" with 860 in the #Pack column and
> "APX192,TCPIP*" in the Path column.  There is nothing in the Pos Time or
> the PHG or Comments columns.

I'm not sure there should be anything in the PHG or Comments
columns.  I don't have RINO's to test with but I expect there should
be a timestamp in the "Pos Time" column if you've been getting valid
positions for the remote unit.

PHG is Power/Height/Gain.  Should be empty in this instance.

The "14" is a positive sign, as is the #Pack (number of packets)
column.  This suggests that you are getting some packets from the
remote RINO.

If you look at the "View->Mobile Stations" column, does "14" show up
there with a position?

Perhaps one of these things is occurring:
*) The remote RINO doesn't have a valid position to send (no GPS
   lock?).
*) Xastir isn't parsing the waypoints file properly that GPSMan is
   creating from the data.
*) GPSMan isn't writing the data file in the same format as it used
   to.

The INSTALL file talks about RINO's but it seems to indicate that
the RINO radio cannot poll the others without setting the POLL
function in the local RINO.

main.c:
-------
// Function to process the RINO.gpstrans file.  We'll create APRS
// objects out of them as if our own callsign created them.  Lines
// in the file look like this (spaces removed):
//
// W  N3EG3  20-JUN-02 17:55  07/08/2004 13:03:29  46.1141682  -122.9384817
// W  N3JGI  20-JUN-02 18:29  07/08/2004 13:03:29  48.0021644  -116.0118324
//
// Fields are:
// W  name   Comment          Date/Time            Latitude    Longitude
//
void process_RINO_waypoints(void) {
    // Process the file line-by-line here.  The format for gpstrans
    // files as written by GPSMan appears to be:
    //
    //   "W"
    //   Waypoint name
    //   Comment field (Date/Time is default on Garmins)
    //   Date/Time
    //   Decimal latitude
    //   Decimal longitude

Are you getting a RINO.gpstrans file written, and is it in the above
format?   Should be in ~/.xastir/gps/RINO.gpstrans.

It looks like the command Xastir invokes to download the waypoints
is something like this:

"gpsman.tcl -dev /dev/ttyS0 getwrite WP GPStrans ~/.xastir/gps/RINO.gpstrans"

You could try that by hand to see if a file gets written and check
it against the above format.