[Xastir] Re: Problems plotting positions in Xastir downloaded from a RINO

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 5 11:23:30 EST 2007

Wes:  Can you fill me in some more on this text in our INSTALL file?

"Lets say I have three RINO radios... two in the hands of the SAR teams on
the ground, and a third radio in a plane circling above.  It is preferred
that the radio in the hands of the SAR teams be the nicer rino120 since it
does mapping.  The radio in the plane can be the lowly rino110 since it
does not do mapping but you will have a copy of xastir with maps on the
laptop with you anyway.

If I set two of my rino radios to APRSSAR1 and APRSSAR2, and connect a
third rino radio to xastir with serial in the plane, xastir will query
rino radio #3 at any one minute interval between 0 and 30 minutes, get the
APRS* waypoints, lop off the first four characters and publish the shorter
named waypoints as SAR1 and SAR2 as APRS(tm) objects on to your TNC.  The
hitch to this is that the rino radio cannot automatically poll the RINO
users' locations on the ground.  You have to manually (on the radio)
select a menu item called POLL and poll the users that way.  The reason
the first four characters of the rino callsign have to be "APRS" is that
when you send a query, rino only asks about the first 4 chars... so any
station with the first four that match will answer... ie all of them in
your group.  The other method is to simply fly the plane overhead and
listen (eavesdrop) on the channel and passively pickup the locations of the
groups as they converse with one another.  The rino will send it's
location just as you un-key the PTT if it has been >30 sec since the last
time you sent your position.  It would be practical to simply ask each
team for an update... they just need to squeeze their PTT for a moment
(ie kerchunk) to send a position."

The last section seems to imply that the Xastir-connected RINO
(XC-RINO) cannot cause polling of the remote RINO's.  Perhaps that
text describes a RINO without Xastir?  If it _does_ describe our
current setup, do the remote RINO users need to talk on the RINO's
or manually send their position every once in a while for the
XC-RINO to be able to see them?  I _thought_ we had it all working
to where the remote RINO's could just be worn on a belt or on top of
a backpack and the XC-RINO could poll them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and feel free to correct the above
text to fit the current situation:  I'll update the INSTALL file to
match.