[Xastir] Weather station to use with Xastir

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Dec 10 15:13:06 EST 2007

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Gerry Creager wrote:

> Davis, Peet Bros., Oregon Scientific...  I'd suggest any of those, but
> in about that order.

Be aware that Davis and Lacrosse support involves running additional
programs plus a MySQL instance in order to feed Xastir.  See the
xastir/Davis and xastir/LaCrosse directories for additional info.

Xastir directly supports the Peet Bros, Oregon
Scientific/Huger/Radio Shack, and Dallas Semiconductor/AAG One-Wire.
Just hook them to a serial port and tell Xastir to use them.

Probably the Peet Bros and Davis are the higher quality types, so
they'll last out in the elements longer.

The Lacrosse and Oregon Scientific/Huger/Radio Shack types give you
lots of sensors out of the box, but they might not last as long.

The Dallas Semiconductor station was designed to promote their
One-Wire sensors, and now AAG sells a similar model.  This is a
ground-floor way to get in to WX stations, and you can add sensors
as you go.  Probably at somewhat the low end of the scale on
robustness and engineering:  The temp sensor is inside the white
plastic housing and rises as the sun heats up that housing.  The
wind direction sensor depends on reed switches and has 16? possible
outputs for direction.  There are mods you might want to make if you
use this sytem in order to get more accurate outside temperature.
By the time you add a bunch of sensors this one will cost you
plenty.