[Xastir] Weather station to use with Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Dec 10 20:00:21 EST 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 12:13:06PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> The Lacrosse and Oregon Scientific/Huger/Radio Shack types give you
> lots of sensors out of the box, but they might not last as long.

I would say that you should avoid LaCrosse equipment at all costs.  It is
cheap, fragile, and of low accuracy.

My LaCrosse unit lasted about 6 months before the rain sensor gave up the ghost,
and a little longer before the wind sensor died.  It is now nothing more than
a temperature and humidity sensor, and of no value for APRS weather (because
it basically causes the probe software to hang until it times out now that
the wind sensor doesn't report properly).

And from the day I got it, the barometer was a problem, giving extremely poor
quality data (according to the quality control program from the
gladstonefamily.net site).

Get a good one, don't waste money on LaCrosse junk.