[Xastir] dbfawk & fills

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Thu Dec 13 22:14:18 EST 2007

How come I can't get fills to work on my shapefiles? I recently
downloaded the latest and greatest tigerline shape files (the ones
named New_London_County.* for example) from ftp://aprs.tamu.edu/pub/
TIGER_2006/. I've got them working and I've tweaked the dbfawk the
way I want it pretty well. But I have a number of questions/issues.

1. I can't get fill to work. I have it set to YES, nothing fills. I
have it set to AUTO and tweak the dbfawk (../share/xastir/config/
tgr2shp.dbfawk) to turn on fill, adjust colors, stipple, etc but no
fills. Here is a sample water line:

> /^CFCC=H/ {lanes=0; color=26; fill_color=26; filled=1;
> label_color=26; display_level=1;}

Still no filling of the water though.

2. I was noticing some stuff that didn't seem to respond to the
adjustments I made. Some seemed to be streets, some were other
features. I looked in one of the county shape files and noticed a few
very odd items. There were some with numbers like P41 in stead of A41
(these were streets). I added a line to handle the P4's and that
fixed part of the problem, but there are still more. Anyone else
experience this? I'm seeing it in the CT files, particularly the
New_London_County shapefiles. I added the following line to make them
stand out (purple lines which is not a color I otherwise use on my
maps):

> /^CFCC=[A-Z]/ {color=1; display_level=128; font_size=2; next}

I didn't look any further to identify more (I was time limited at the
time). I suppose I should develop a script or something to identify
all those that don't fit the known mold. But I thought I'd inquire
here before I duplicate any effort.

3. So now I've got the dbfawk file just the way I want it. But I
notice that it's in the system-wide ../share/xastir/config directory.
It appears to me that the files in that directory will be overwritten
when Xastir is re-built. Is there a place (like ~/.xastir/config)
where they can be placed and read (aside from putting them alongside
the maps) where they won't be over written?

4. How do I get state lines? I don't see those appearing anywhere in
the files. I didn't see them as a separate file and they don't seem
to be in the one dbfawk that I got to work editing (tgr2shp.dbfawk).

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn