[Xastir] Xastir and TM-D710A

James Ewen jewen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 23 16:05:26 EST 2007

On 12/23/07, Russell Handorf <rhandorf at handorf.org> wrote:

> I think it's that I had it configged for 9600 baud, not 1200. When I use
> the internal TNC on the radio for 9600 Baud, I have no updates where as
> 1200 shows all the traffic.

When you say you are using the internal TNC, do you mean using the
radio in APRS mode, and looking at the display screen? Are you
referring here to menu 601 INTERNAL TNC | DATA SPEED? This is the
on-air baud rate.

> The problem is when I try to tell the radio to use a different port
> speed on the com port. 9600 baud is the lowest I can go! My options are
> 9600, 19200, 38400, and 57600.

Now you're talking about the settings in menu 528 AUX | COM PORT
BAUDRATE, or menu 519 AUX | PC PORT BAUDRATE. The COM port is on the
back of the control head while the PC port is on the back of the TX/RX
unit. There is also another setting that you should not be playing
with, and that is the DATA Terminal Speed in menu  518 AUX | EXT. DATA
SPEED. That is only for use when using an external TNC connected to
the DATA terminal on the back of the TX/RX unit.

Let's get your oranges out of your apple cart.

The TM-D710A is a dual speed TNC. It can operate at both 1200 baud and
9600 baud on RF. This is the on air signalling rate. This has nothing
to do with the speed of that the radio is communicating with the
device attached to the COM port on the radio control head or via the
PC port on the back of the TX/RX unit.

Try plugging into the back of the control head, and watching the
incoming data as you press the TNC button on the D710 to get it into
Packet mode. You should see PACKET12 above the side of the radio that
says 144.390. That means you are on 144.390 running at 1200 baud in
packet mode. See if you can get access to the TNC that way.

James
VE6SRV