[Xastir] VMWare Question

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Feb 4 19:22:04 EST 2007

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 05:44:55PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ka3nam at daminternet.biz> flavor, containing:
> I'm looking for other ideas on increasing the resolution when using VMWare & Xastir. I downloaded VMWare Player and the xubuntu packace with Xastir. Everything is running on my WinXP box with 1280x1024 resolution. When I go into xubuntu display settings, the highest setting is 700x800 and that is smaller than the "default" which is about 33% of my screen. Any other ideas on what to tweak?
>
> Other than the smaller "screen" the VMWare/ Xastir package is REALLY cool and easy. Kudos to the person or person(s) that put it together!

The xubuntu vm was set up to use a smallish resolution by default so it would
display on most people's machines no matter how small.  This setting is
in the vmware tools set-up, not the Xubuntu desktop settings --- the xubuntu
settings dialog will only let you go smaller than the vmware-tools settings,
not larger.  In order to switch resolutions to something higher, you have to
change them in the "vmware tools" before you can change them through the
display settings.  The instructions for doing so are on the Wiki page at
<http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:VMware#Adjusting_the_window_size>
right in the section describing how to start the virutal machine.

But the short story is you run "sudo vmware-config-tools.pl" in the terminal
window, say yes when it asks you if you want to change display resolution,
then select what resolution you want.  After that you have to restart the
X server (either by restarting the virtual machine or by using
"control-alt-backspace" to force a restart).  Once you do that, your virtual
machine will be set up for a larger display, and you can choose any smaller
resolution using the desktop settings.

HTH,
T.