[Xastir] Xastir and TCP/IP over AX.25 coexistence?

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Feb 5 10:26:19 EST 2007

on 2/5/2007 9:22 AM Curt, WE7U said the following:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Lance Cotton wrote:
>> It should be AX25 TNC Radio. I am using this configuration and it works
>> great for TCP/IP and Xastir/APRS side by side.
>
> Just curious, who's running TCP/IP and APRS on the same channel?  Or
> perhaps you have an MKISS TNC and so have multiple ports/radios tied
> to the same serial interface?

Same channel. Don't worry -- it's just for testing purposes. Average TCP/IP
traffic on my local APRS channel is 100 bytes / month.

> For some places in Europe I've heard it's accepted to run APRS
> alongside other protocols, and for non-144.39 frequencies it's just
> fine in the U.S. and Canda.  I'd be wary of running connected mode
> packets or even unconnected mode TCP packets on the main APRS
> frequency.  You're liable to get shot by the locals.

Not too many locals here. We've got about 5 active APRS users in the county.

It is just very convenient to give a quick ping on a known-working setup
when troubleshooting a buddy's TCP/IP AX25 setup. (when we can't find any
other reason it isn't working)

-Lance
--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat the
cookies.