[Xastir] Cygwin Alternative

AC7YY ac7yy at aikenco.net
Mon Feb 5 11:43:04 EST 2007

> Curt Wrote:
> Now, that said, you might want to investigate using MS Virtual PC or
> VMWare Player (both free downloads) to run Xastir on Linux on top of
> Windows.  Tom Russo reported that Xastir was much speedier under
> VMWare than under Cygwin.  I expect the Virtual PC version might be
> as well.  This is all assuming that you have the extra hard drive
> space and memory needed in order to go with either of these two.

I can not speak as to Cygwin, however I have been running MS Virtual PC for
a few months now. I recently installed Virtual PC 2007. I had to go thru a 5
minute signup process as a beta tester to get it. I was hoping that the 2007
version allowed the installation of the Virtual Machine Additions. However,
that was not the case. This version as in version 2004 doesn't allow for
Virtual Machine Additions for linux distribution. I am using SUSE 10.1. So,
as far as using MS Virtual PC 2004 or 2007, there is really no difference in
operating xastir. The speed running SUSe and xasir is the same as any other
program running. I could allocate less memory to Virtual PC if I were to
shut down some SUse processes which are not required for xastir.

I am still trying to figure out how to grab the aprs datastream from my
digi_ned box using remserial over the lan. That problem is my lack of
unix/linux knowledge, not a function of virtual pc.

Overall, it seems like a good solution to run xastir on a windows box.
Setting up MS virtual pc is a simple MS Wizard type install, then the SUse
installation is exactly as you were installing on a new pc. Once SUse is
installed, the normal xastir installation is followed.

Kim - AC7YY