[Xastir] Cygwin update

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 5 09:20:30 EST 2007

On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, David  Flood wrote:

> If it has been more than six months since you last updated Cygwin, I would
> recommend that you do the complete ./bootstrap;./configure;make
> clean;make;make install sequence to rebuild Xastir.  Some of the recent
> Cygwin changes involved several changes to a lot of the underlying
> libraries.

Cygwin tends to change things a LOT, plus they often break things
temporarily.  I kind'a think of it like it's an alpha-level of
release:  Once you get an installation that works, just stay with it
unless there's some new feature you really need.  If/when you
update, prepare to do updates frequently for a while until you get a
reliable install that does everything you need.

Now, that said, you might want to investigate using MS Virtual PC or
VMWare Player (both free downloads) to run Xastir on Linux on top of
Windows.  Tom Russo reported that Xastir was much speedier under
VMWare than under Cygwin.  I expect the Virtual PC version might be
as well.  This is all assuming that you have the extra hard drive
space and memory needed in order to go with either of these two.