[Xastir] Maps and ImageMagick

Richard Polivka r.polivka at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 6 08:23:02 EST 2007

Norm,

Greetings from the cold north side (-7 deg F). There
are two competing/forked packages: ImageMagick and
GraphicsMagick. Both packages are meant to be
stand-alone, command line "Swiss Army Knife" type of
programs for manipulating/massaging/mangling picture
files. GraphicsMagick may not do as much as
ImageMagick but I can say, at least on my machine, the
overhead using GM is far less.

I am running GraphicsMagick on BigBox to assemble the
NEXRAD animations that I plan to use for when the
severe spring/summer/fall weather comes calling. I
take the scan history from the National Weather
Service, layer the topo image and legend images with
the radar image in the middle. Once those are
assembled, I use GraphicsMagick to make an animated
GIF out of the processed pix.

I am not exactly sure of where the package is used in
the processes but either one should work.

73 from 807,

Richard, N6NKO