[Xastir] VMPlayer

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Feb 7 20:43:56 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 06:41:00PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <joe at lightningflash.net> flavor, containing:
> Peter Maxfield wrote:
> >Only problem so far:  I use 2 monitors.  VMPlayer grabs my mouse and won't
> >let me move it from one screen to the other.  So, I'm stuck running
> >VMPlayer
> >and can't do anything else.  Any suggestions?
>
> Install VMWare Tools, that lets the cursor move in and out of the VMWare
> application without having to release the cursor.
>
> To manually release the cursor, just simultaneously press and release
> CTRL and ALT keys. You should have your cursor back until you click in
> the VMWare screen again.

The pre-built xastir virtual machine already has vmware tools installed.
If you're using that, then you should be good to go.  If you aren't,
then be sure to download a linux virtual machine that has the tools installed.
You can't install vmware tools through the player, I think, only through
Server or Workstation.

> You could also mean that you are running VMWare in full screen mode on
> only one of your 2 monitors. If that is the case, I don't know how that
> is handled.

To release the mouse cursor from vmware control in full screen mode, you have
to hit CTRL-ALT --- this returns vmware to windowed mode and releases
the cursor to Losedows.