[Xastir] vmplayer et al.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Feb 8 14:33:14 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:17:17PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <pmaxfield at charter.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello again!
>
> I've been successful getting vmplayer to work on an older notebook, alas no
> serial port!
>
> I've used the prebuilt Xastir machine and have a couple of questions.
>
> First, I've forgotten how to filter a feed.  I'm using the m/500 filter to
> restrict some of the IS feed, but no matter what I do, it's either feast or
> famine.  What port do I need to be set to and where would be a good feed to
> go to.  I've looked at michigan.aprs.net and elansing.aprs.net.  Should I
> just go to rotate,aprs.net?

I believe the "m" filter requires that you send a position to the upstream
server first.  Do you have transmit enabled?  If not, the server will have
no way of knowing where you are to filter things out based on range from your
station.

> Secondly, I would like to try and change to openmotif as suggested.  I know
> this sounds very silly, but can someone tell me the exact path I have to set
> to do this?  I call up the terminal window, but am kinda lost.  It might be
> ~/src/XASTIR/xastir.  I'm still trying to make the transition from cygwin
> and I'm not much of a programmer anyway...

The exact thing you need to type into the terminal window is given in the
HowTo:VMware wiki page, under "updating xastir".  So you would follow the
instructions for removing lesstif and installing openmotif that are shown
on the HowTo:Ubuntu 6.10 page, and then just rebuild xastir according to the
HowTo:VMware page.

> I'll work on a USB/serial adapter later.

Does your older laptop have no serial port, or is the vmware player just not
attaching to it?