[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 9 22:48:42 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Curt Mills wrote:

> Any chance of getting the algorithm for the Toporama CGI so that we
> could generate the .geo's ourselves?  We'd still be snagging the
> actual map images from your server, but if that became a problem in
> the future we could come up with our own server for the images.
> It's the generation of the .geo's that we'd have to reinvent.

Actually, judging by the speed at which they're coming in on my
dial-up link, you must be serving up just the screen size image that
fits the .geo file.  In other words you're doing some processing on
the base map images to come up with a specific image for each remote
request we do, which matches the custom .geo you send us.

If we ever had to replace this functionality we'd probably go with a
MapServer instance somewhere serving up WMS images in a similar
manner.  We already have support for WMS in our code.

Thanks again for fixing it!  This might keep them pesky Canadians
happy a bit longer.  The risk of invasion increases when we tick
them off.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer