[Xastir] vmplayer

Peter Maxfield pmaxfield at charter.net
Fri Feb 9 23:47:35 EST 2007

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

I have installed vmplayer and the preconfigured xubuntu/xastir machine.
Finally remembered how to set up all the variables in Xastir.
Performed the change to openmotiff without issue.  I've also tried to do a
cvs update, which I think was successful (it still runs!) and performed an
update to xubuntu.

You do have to be careful with Zonealarm.  Someone turned me to Kerio from
Sunbelt as a firewall and it seems to work well behind my vpn router.

So, now I have a windows machine running vmplayer which is running a virtual
machine running xubuntu which is running Xastir. It can be a little
confusing with the mouse and the display to remember where you are at anyone
time.

2 things to still resolve - I do not believe that festival is installed.  I
tried to install it with "sudo apt-get install festival", but it would not
perform the make distclean afterwards.

Also, I can't find any way to turn off the screensaver in the GUI.  Any
hints on how to turn it off?

Otherwise, working great and does not seriously impact this little Celeron
2.0GHZ with 512MB of RAM.  I have an old Pentium II notebook I'm thinking of
converting to Linux to see if it would be easier to learn on!

Thanx again for everyone's help and support

Best regards,

Peter Maxfield, W1LBR(-7,-3,-15)
Where's Max now?
HYPERLINK