[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 9 23:16:27 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Steve Dimse wrote:

> Actually that is not the way I work. I spent a lot of time understanding the
> way they did it, once I started coding it worked as soon as I fixed a couple
> of syntax errors. That is why I don't think the code will help you. If you did
> a straight translation from my Perl and got it perfect, you'd be golden. If it
> needed any debugging (and the odds are!), you'd be worse off, needing now to
> understand both the Toporama algorithm AND the Perl implementation.
> Understanding the algorithm and writing your own code would be faster almost
> every time...

I've used ties in Perl before, so the Perl wouldn't be that big of a
deal, but I do understand what you mean.

For the DRG code I guess I did more of an extreme-programming
method:  Get _something_ working, then tweak it until it does
everything you need.  Once I got that done, I optimized the speed
based on some of the specific characteristics of the DRG format.
That of course make it need to be tweaked later by those wishing to
use DOQQ's with the same code.

I also ran it through the profiler recently, and didn't find a lot
to optimize, so I guess I "done good".  At the same time using the
profiler I sped up some of the other map code by a lot.  Was a good
day.

Hey, thanks again for all you do.  There's got to be a LOT of code
in that findu package.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer