[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 9 23:09:26 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Steve Dimse wrote:

> Yes, I think that is the only way to do it. Even a two by two pixel map could
> (in the extreme case) require loading of four different (and large) tiles,
> could xastir handle that directly?

Nope.  Our code's stupid.  It want's one image and one image only.
The only exception is the geotiff code which is customized to handle
the USGS DRG's, but that's not a remote-file sort of thing anyway.
One or two of our other developers added patches so that the same
code handles DOQQ's fine now too.

> Even if it could, it wouldn't be the most
> efficient way to handle it.

Yea, rather like DRG files with megabytes of data per file.
Downloading four of them would suck.  Heck, downloading ONE of them
here on my dial-up would suck.

By the way, the reason I originally wrote the DRG code which joined
maps was because my bowhunting area was very near the intersection
of four quads.  What a stupid reason to contribute to a software
project eh?

> > Thanks again for fixing it!  This might keep them pesky Canadians
> > happy a bit longer.  The risk of invasion increases when we tick
> > them off.
>
> South Park fans know what will happen if they try!

I'm really near the border, so I get nervous just discussing this.
Tom could be down here in an hour and a half.  Faster if he's pissed
off.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer