[Xastir] Canada Toporama Maps

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Feb 10 17:33:39 EST 2007

Curt Mills wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007, Gerry Creager wrote:
>
>> I'm about to embark on a bit of mapserver work, and this is likely as good a
>> time as any to learn how to tile in gdal.
>
> Just so you and Steve are aware of this, a bit more Toporama stuff:
>
> Tom Tessier said this:
>
>> "... I found errors in their maps designations on Elesmere Island."
>
> So if you're working in the Toporama maps in the future, check in
> that area for inconsistencies.

Noted, I'll look but since I pronounce "Eh?!" with a Texas Drawl, I may
not notice the problem!

> Ok, next subject:
>
> What Gerry just said about GDAL brings up another question or two:
> Does MapServer use GDAL internally (I think so), or are you thinking
> of figuring out how to tile maps with GDAL for Xastir purposes?  If
> the latter, remember that we have ZERO support for GDAL raster maps
> in Xastir at this point, we only have _some_ OGR (vector) support
> written.

gdal is used internally.  You use the support programs to tile a larger
map-set or image into something workable, but after that Mapserver does
the heavy lifting.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983