[Xastir] Xastir hangs when changing form fields

Richard Murnane Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 15 06:40:46 EST 2007

(Dana helped me with this one a long time ago, but I lost all my
email some time ago...)

Here's the problem: I'm running Xastir under Mac OSX; when I try to
change a field on one of the dialogs (eg File -> Configure ->
Station) the application hangs. For example, in the Configure Station
dialog, I can highlight the LAT deg field, but when I type a new
value the field value doesn't change, and clicking Cancel doesn't
break out of the dialog. I have to Quit X11 to terminate the app.

Now, I vaguely recall the fix involved changing the file settings
(chmod 7555 springs to mind), but I don't recall the exact details,
and I don't want to pester Dana, who is busy with Mac Xastir builds.
Besides, I'd be interested in other perspectives on the problem.

Is this a known bug, or some Unix-related "feature" - if there as an
OS rights issue, I would like to think the app could detect it before
falling into a trap. (My apologies, my Unix knowledge is very
rusty... All I can say with any certainty is that my boss would kick
my butt if any of my "day job" applications hung for any reason at
all :-)

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

73 Richard VK2SKY