[Xastir] rattlesnakes

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Thu Feb 15 11:17:49 EST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Peter Maxfield wrote:

> Speaking of WX logs:
>
> I downloaded the NWS shapefiles to the vmplayer desktop.  However, I forgot
> to (read : don't know how )do it as root.  I don't know the command to
> extract on the command line or I hope I could just
>
> sudo extract(?) filename location   I think this would give me the ability
> to perform this function.

  What's the full filename of the shapefiles you downloaded?  If it's *.tgz
or *.tar.gz, then you can `tar -xzvf <filename> <location> will do it.
   (-x = extract, -z = 'filter thru gzip first, -v = tell me what you're
doing, -f <filename> is the file to act upon.)  `man tar` will tell you
much more than you need to know...
   If it's a .zip, use unzip. If it's just .gz, use gunzip. Otherwise, try
`file <filename>` and it'll describe the internal format for you, giving
you a clue what program can read it.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin