[Xastir] rattlesnakes

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 15 11:34:49 EST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Rick Green wrote:

>   What's the full filename of the shapefiles you downloaded?  If it's *.tgz
> or *.tar.gz, then you can `tar -xzvf <filename> <location> will do it.

Except "tar" is one of those "weird" Unix programs that doesn't
require the dash.  On many modern systems "ps" is another one of
those.

So I use "tar xzvf filename.tgz" or "tar xjvf filename.tar.bz2".

Some tar implementations can't do gzip or bzip2, so you have to do
this instead: "bunzip2 filename.tar.bz2" or "gzip -d filename.tgz",
and then "tar xvf filename.tar".  It's a bit of a pain sometimes
keeping it all straight.