[Xastir] rattlesnakes

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Feb 15 11:29:35 EST 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007, Peter Maxfield wrote:

> Anyway, I have xastir running well under vmplayer.  I am still not sure how
> to stop everything.  Sometimes I think I shutdown correctly, but xastir ends
> up already running in the background when I restart.

File->Exit is the correct way to exit the program.

> problem I want to discuss.  This will go to a broader issue of starting,
> stopping and display sizes, which I feel are minor tweaking issues.

You might try something like this to start it in 800x600 at the
bottom left corner of your screen:

    xastir -geometry 800x600-0-0 &

> The bigger problem I would like to address is festival.  I believe I have it
> installed correctly.  I can see it installed when I use the gui package
> manager, including devel and headers.  I even enable it with the server
> command before I start xastir.  However, when I enable the voice, all I get
> are rattlesnake noises, no speech or voice.

You can test it manually this way:

    telnet localhost 1314

    (SayText "Hello")
    (SayText "This is kind of cool")

Usually it's something like ESC-] to get back to command-mode for
telnet and then type "quit" to exit.

> Speaking of WX logs:
>
> I downloaded the NWS shapefiles to the vmplayer desktop.  However, I forgot
> to (read : don't know how )do it as root.  I don't know the command to
> extract on the command line or I hope I could just
>
> sudo extract(?) filename location   I think this would give me the ability
> to perform this function.

You should be able to do this:

    su
    cd xastir/scripts
    ./get-NWSdata
    exit (from root user)

That should snag the NWS weather alert maps automatically and
install them for you.  If you don't want to download them again, you
need to do something like this:

    cd /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties
    su
    tar xvf /path/filename.tgz (or else unzip filename.zip)
    exit (from root user)

Your choice whether to blow away the .tgz or .zip files at that
point.