[Xastir] rattlesnakes

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Feb 15 12:22:02 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 10:59:25AM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <pmaxfield at charter.net> flavor, containing:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Again, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been so
> kind to let me think I know what I am doing!  You guys rock!
>

> Anyway, I have xastir running well under vmplayer.  I am still not sure how
> to stop everything.  Sometimes I think I shutdown correctly, but xastir ends
> up already running in the background when I restart.  This is not the
> problem I want to discuss.  This will go to a broader issue of starting,
> stopping and display sizes, which I feel are minor tweaking issues.

To shut down the virtual machine, you want to quit xastir using the file menu,
then shut down linux using the "Open Door" icon in the top right, then select
"shut down."  Shutting down by just chosing "quit" in vmplayer will suspend
the virtual machine without shutting it down, just like suspending a laptop
--- when you start up again it'll be in exactly the same state as it was when
you quit.

> The bigger problem I would like to address is festival.  I believe I have it
> installed correctly.  I can see it installed when I use the gui package
> manager, including devel and headers.  I even enable it with the server
> command before I start xastir.  However, when I enable the voice, all I get
> are rattlesnake noises, no speech or voice.

> Checking in the terminal window I see a possible problem:
>
> When xastir starts and just after the message that says done with wx alert
> log files I get the message
>
> Interface Error! Error opening interface 0 time out

This has nothing to do with sound, it's related to your TNC or internet
server connection.  What is your interface 0 (the first one in the list
of Interface Properties)?  Something's wrong with it.

> Once Xastir is running, I get multiple
>
> sh: play: not found

I don't know what's going on with that --- enabling festival should not
involve using the "play" command, that would be "audio alerts" (playing of
simple sound files).  Did you enable speech, or did you enable audio alerts?
To enable speech, you use the File->Configure->Speech menu, to enable
audio alerts, you use File->Configure->Audio Alerts.  If you've installed
festival and starte its server, you want the Speech menu, and you want
audio alerts disabled.

> Before I start to go in and wreak havoc, I was hoping this is a simple issue
> to resolve.
>
> Speaking of WX logs:
>
> I downloaded the NWS shapefiles to the vmplayer desktop.  However, I forgot
> to (read : don't know how )do it as root.  I don't know the command to
> extract on the command line or I hope I could just

The shapefiles are, I think, in zip files, right?  If that's correct,
you'd do:

  cd /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties
  sudo unzip (path to the zipfile)