[Xastir] maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Feb 16 09:45:00 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Peter Maxfield wrote:

> In the past I have used the online tiger maps and they have worked well for
> my purpose.  I have also had the weather alerts show up and that has been
> great.  But, is there a way to control the intensity of the weather alert
> and warning areas?  It tends to wipe out anything underneath it.  I set the
> tiger map to 80% intensity

Are you using Xastir 1.8.4 or 1.8.5?  Sometime several months back
the weather alert drawing was changed to make it much less
destructive to the lower map layers.  It now draws narrow horizontal
lines instead of tinting the whole area.  Upgrade to a newer version
if you're seeing the whole-area tint.  The devel snapshot released
yesterday might be a good choice.

> Also how do you, or can you get the nws-radar.geo to overlay the tiger map.
> After reading the map readme/faq inside xastir, I am more confused.  Are the
> .geo files for radar vector or raster, geo can be either?  Won't 2 raster
> files always have one obscured?  How would I set the layers, or do I?

Map Chooser -> Properties will show all of your currently selected
maps and you can choose layers for them.  If you don't have a
transparent color set for a particular raster in the .geo then yes,
it will obscure anything underneath it totally.  Might I recommend
the WMSRadar.geo to you?  If everything is working right that one
should be transparent except where there are weather bits.