[Xastir] APRStt

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Feb 28 18:11:14 EST 2007

On Feb 28, 2007, at 1:42 PM, William McKeehan wrote:
> think Bob may have a good idea with the APRStt thing. I can see
> several
> instances where it would be nice to have someone with an HT enter
> some data
> quickly just by entering touch tones.

The biggest hitch I see is that you're typing blind (a major problem
for someone of my typing skills), and need some sort of feedback to
verify you entered the data correctly.  I think for it to be useful
the speech synthesis component is pretty much mandatory.  The bar
code scanner (or a simple device with a 16-key keypad and an LCD)
would be more likely to get good data entered.

> Has anyone considered putting APRStt into Xastir?

I'd think that would be better as a separate application, taking
advantage of xastir's server port to display/digi/gate reports.
Adding code for audio decoding would be complex and not very
portable, assuming you could get an xastir developer to take it on.

What's the user interface component, besides a table mapping
positions and object/station names to numeric shortcuts?  Bob's web
page wasn't terribly clear about all that.

-Jason
kg4wsv