[Xastir] xastir in Ubuntu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Feb 28 19:14:17 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:01:47PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
> I'm playing with the new Ubuntu release 'Feisty', currently at 'herd 4',
> due for release mid-april.
>
> Xastir is available in the 'multiverse' repository at release 1.8.4,
> compiled last Nov 2nd.
>
> Upon first execution, it opens with a tiny (<1" square) window, that
> doesn't even show the entire menubar.
>
> I believe this has been fixed in CVS, and I remember some discussion of a
> first-execution script to walk the user thru a basic station and map
> config.

Yes, this tiny window issue was fixed in CVS some time ago.  The package
maintainer might very well be waiting for a stable release before building the
package again, and 1.8.5 is still only available in development snapshots.
You could always build from source to get the enhancements faster, and it is
not that difficult in Ubuntu to get all the dependencies installed.