[Xastir] Geotiff missing...???

Jim Shorney jshorney at inebraska.com
Wed Feb 28 20:13:18 EST 2007

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:49:09 +1100, Ray Wells wrote:

>I had maps before changing from 2.2.26 to 2.6.18-3; both Debian distros.
>Does anyone know if Imagemagick is broken in Debian?
>
>Larry, does your Imagemagick actually work?

Guys,

I started out with a Debian 2.2r0 (Potato) distro that I have been keeping up
to date, and just redid the whole excercise again on an old ThinkPad 760E
that I just acquired (and updated as far as "Woody").  In both cases, I
discovered two things:

1. Debian packages are not always new enough versions of everything to keep
Xastir, et. al., happy, or may not even be available.

2. Trying to keep everything up to date enough through dselect sometimes
would throw me into dependency hell and/or break something in Xastir, which
would then take some time to sort out.

I found what works best for me is to just go directly to the horse's server,
so to speak, grab the sources for Xastir and all the accessories, and compile
for my machine.  Where to get stuff is listed in the INSTALL file included
with the Xastir source.  It bears repeating that the instructions in INSTALL
should be followed TO THE LETTER for everything to work.  The good news is
that, after many hours of tinkering, everything on the ThinkPad appears to be
working as it should (except GDAL, which I am a little bit afraid to
install).  I had one minor glitch with libdb that was easily fixed.

Just my experiences, YMMV.

73

-Jim

--
TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A - all vintage, all the time!