[Xastir] Broken

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jan 10 23:53:05 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 05:46:10PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Chip G. wrote:
>
> > > What does your top-level Makefile show for the CPPFLAGS line after you run
> > > configure?
> >
> > Umm ... there is no CPPFLAGS line in my Makefile or Makefile.in or Makefile.am
>

> > So I know what I should find. Both computers have been updated to CVS. How can
> > the Makefile be wrong? How do I fix it?
>
> It might be autoconf/automake that are doing it to you.  Automake is
> the package that actually creates the Makefiles.  Autoconf starts
> with acinclude.m4 and configure.ac and is an earlier step to
> figuring out the configuration of your system.

If there is no CPPFLAGS in Makefile.in (the top level one), then the issue
is with automake.  Automake creates Makefile.in from Makefile.am, and
it is at this point that a skeletal CPPFLAGS line should appear:

CPPFLAGS = @CPPFLAGS@

There should never be a CPPFLAGS line in Makefile.am, so this is normal.

Configure fills that in by defining the @CPPFLAGS@ deal and substituting
to create Makefile from Makefile.in.

Check your top-level Makefile.in.  If it doesn't have a line like the one
above, something went wrong at the "bootstrap.sh" step, specifically the
automake step of bootstrap.sh.  Try bootstrap.sh again and carefully note any
error messages it spews.  If that doesn't fix it, post whatever error messages
showed up at the bootstrap.sh phase.  If there are no error messages, then
it's time to dig deeper.  Start by looking at your automake version number
("automake --version").  It should be something like version 1.9 or so.