[Xastir] Broken

Chip G. n1mie at ct.metrocast.net
Thu Jan 11 21:26:08 EST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 23:53, Tom Russo wrote:

> If it doesn't have a line like the one above, something went wrong
> at the "bootstrap.sh" step, specifically the automake step of
> bootstrap.sh.  Try bootstrap.sh again and carefully note any error
> messages it spews.

Tried. No error messages.

> If that doesn't fix it, post whatever error messages showed up at
> the bootstrap.sh phase.

None.

> If there are no error messages, then it's time to dig deeper.
> Start by looking at your automake version number ("automake --
> version").  It should be something like version 1.9 or so.

I was beginning to suspect this with Curt's off-list message which
told me to look for this one. But he said enough for me to be
thinking of that. As I think I wrote in an earlier message, automake
was version 1.6. I finked up to version 1.9 and was able to get what
we should see in the Makefile.in (the CPPFLAGS line which was
previously absent). Oddly enough, when I did this I got more errors.
So I also fixed my CVS problem by deleting everything and starting
from scratch (including commenting out my entire cvsrc file which
somehow seemed to be munging things up, or at least it suddenly
stopped hanging midway through when I commented out everything). I
didn't save the errors, because everything is working now, but the
bootstrap and make process did have a lot of errors/warnings. More
than I recall seeing before. But as I said it compiled. When I have
another day off I will try again and see if I can get more details.

The really strange thing about this whole episode is how it happened.
Everything was working. Then suddenly it wasn't. The only thing I can
think of which might have happened in the interim is that I did some
updates with Fink. This means that either fink downgraded automake or
else it updated autoconf. I don't have any records about which
versions were in place before hand, but I know that things were
working. So the question is how it happened and how to prevent it
from happening in the future.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn