[Xastir] Re: New devel snapshot, SuSE RPM's, LSB package (Curt, WE7U)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 16 12:19:10 EST 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Greg Eigsti wrote:

> Is there an option to grab callsign lookup data off of teh intarwebs as it
> is needed (e.g. I do a lookup on WE7U and Xastir retrieves the data
> real-time off of qrz)?
>
> Real time callsign lookups seem "natural" to me and I wondered if I am
> missing something or if there was a conscious decision not to do this?

Never thought about it.  Being on dial-up I like to have as much as
possible off-line.  Perhaps whoever wrote the FCC/RAC code was
thinking similarly.  It was written quite a while ago.

If you want up-to-date data and are on a high-speed link, you can
set up a cron to run "fcc-get" periodically.  Those two files are
awfully large downloads though.

The FCC puts out an update each day as well.  Figuring out how to
merge that data in with the big file and downloading/merging that in
periodically would be a better setup.

Xastir has no option to query online servers for callsign data.