[Xastir] Re: New devel snapshot, SuSE RPM's, LSB package (Curt, WE7U)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 17 09:21:40 EST 2007

I'm sending my response back to the list, I hope you don't mind...
There may be others that want this sort of info.  This way it'll be
in the archive and people can search for it, including me if I get
asked the same questions again.  It might save me some typing later!

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Tony Hunt wrote:

> I will have a look at it later down the track.. I need to install a stack of
> stuff to get LSB going by the looks.. The system is a Kanotix dervied Debian
> install so its basically Debian unstable .

Usually you bring in a packaged called "lsb" or similar which brings
in the other dependencies and you're good to go.  At least that's
how it works on my SuSE boxes and each one is now LSB-3.0 compliant
by doing so.

> I have 1.8.4 Xastir working and installed via APT fine.. Will messing about
> with the LSB version have any bad effects on the 1.8.4 install ??

Standard installs from source put Xastir into the "/usr/local" area.

LSB installs put it into the "/opt" area.

Unless you create links between the two they are totally separate,
although you may want to run Xastir out of a different config
directory for each via the command-line switches.  The normal config
directory is "~/.xastir".  You can start Xastir like this to specify
a different one for the LSB install if you like:

    /opt/Xastir/bin/xastir -c /home/<login>/.xastirLSB &

Pick any name for the ".xastirLSB" part as long as it's not
".xastir" which is the default.  Substitute your home directory for
the "/home/<login>" portion.  For instance I might type this:

    /opt/Xastir/bin/xastir -c /home/archer/.xastir2 &

If you _don't_ use a different config directory between the two
Xastir may be accessing files in one heirarchy while running Xastir
from the other.  Some paths are stored in the xastir.cnf file plus
there are some symlinks in there to the language and help files as
well.  Keeping the config files separate will allow each Xastir to
be using files only from its own install.

For those playing around with both sources and the LSB binary, you
can also do the following in order to share same maps, weather alert
files, sound files, FCC/RAC database, etc, between the two:

    cd /opt/Xastir/share
    su
    rm -rf xastir
    ln -s /usr/local/share/xastir
    exit (from root

This will remove the LSB-installed share directory and link it to
the "normal" Xastir install which is probably where your system-wide
Xastir files are stored.

The only unusual thing about this setup is that every time you
update _either_ install you'll get files updated in those
directories for _both_ of your installed Xastir's.  I can't think of
a case where this would be a problem.