[Xastir] Xastir 1.8.5 + FreeBSD + D700 + Newbie

Greg Eigsti greg at eigsti.com
Sat Jan 20 18:50:08 EST 2007

I am trying to get Xastir to use a serial TNC (D700) and am getting the
following error trying to open my serial port:

Interface Error! Error opening interface 2 Hard fail

My Xastir serial TNC parameters look like:
TNC port: /dev/cuad0
Port Settings: 9600 bps
Port Style: 8,N,1
Igate Options: Allow RF to Inet traffic ONLY
Path 1: WIDE1-1
Path 2: WIDE2-1
Igate -> RF path: WIDE2-1 (auto-generated by Xastir)
Using tnc-startup.d700 and tnc-stop.d700 (appropriately edited)

I can communicate with the D700 using the following cmd - I can both change
settings as well as display incoming RF packets...

sudo cu -l/dev/cuad0 -s9600

I am thinking that this is a permissions issue for /dev/cuad0 but am a bit
unsure about just chmod'ing it willy nilly.  Should I execute the following
chmod command to proceed?  I am familiar with chmod'ing files but not
devices - don't want to mess anything up!

chmod 4511 /dev/cuad0

Help?!?!?

Thanks!
Greg