[Xastir] New geocode database files available at aprs.tamu.edu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jul 6 21:39:15 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 06:33:44PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <gevaryah at netaxs.com> flavor, containing:
> Tom Russo wrote:
>
> >Several weeks ago I conversed with Jason Winningham about a little chore
> >related to the TIGER/Line 2006 Second Edition files that he had so
> >painstakingly downloaded and processed into shapefiles with the aid
> >of a large cluster of linux machines.  This chore was the generation of the
> >"geocode" files that make Xastir's "Find Address" feature work.
> >

> I had tried doing this a few months back, and noticed that the geocoder
> scripts gave many errors, even with the latest CVS version of the
> geocoder- I assumed that one of the record formats had changed. I also
> couldn't find any new "old format" FIPS data. And to top it off, I ran
> clean out of disk space. So I gave up for then on getting anything more
> accurate than my 2005 version (that I posted here).

The latest version of the geocoder didn't give that many errors.  There were
some, but they were inconsequential.

Jason had some issues to deal with regarding the sheer number of arguments
getting passed to the "sort" program, and he worked around those.

> Did you have to make any changes to the geocoder source code to run these?

I used the latest version of Daniel Eignor's program, and it Just Worked.
It had been tweaked to handle some more recent record types, but I am pretty
sure that was around 2005, not very recently.

Jason might have made some revisions to the geocoder source, but I am not
aware of any being necessary.