[Xastir] finding the libraries to install

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 12:17:23 EDT 2007

Hi Jim,

Berkeley is just something to use as a search criteria in the YaST package
manager to search for the Berkeley Database Libraries, which is what the
HowTo is referring to. The actual Berkeley packages you need are
called dband db-devel.
(If you are following the HowTo, the items that need to be checked after the
search are the actual package names.)

A similar situation exists with libxp-devel - a search in YaST for
libxp-devel results in finding the package, which is actually named
xorg-x11-libXp-devel.
It's just easier to do a search in YaST using the shorter name.  Because of
your internet issue, however, you are obviously not using YaST to search, so
you need to look for the real name.

On OpenMotif, I just found out yesterday that OpenSUSE 10.2 uses a new
version that causes a problem with one of Xastir's menu items.  I haven't
updated the HowTo on that yet.  To get the older version of OpenMotif that
works, go to ftp://ftp.ics.com/openmotif/2.2/2.2.4/suse-9.1/ and download
openmotif-libs-2.2.4-0.1.i586.rpm and
openmotif-libs-devel-2.2.4-0.1.i586.rpm.  Before installing these, check to
see (with YaST) if there is an openmotif-libs-2.3 or something similar to
that installed.  If yes, you will want to delete it in YaST before
installing the 2.2.4 version.  In fact if any of the OpenMotif version
2.3libraries are already installed, I would delete/uninstall them.

Regards,

Lee-K5DAT
Murphy, TX