[Xastir] Trouble with ddf and tif maps

Jim Tolbert RiverRidge at CenturyTel.net
Tue Jul 17 14:17:09 EDT 2007

I down loaded several 24k  DEM maps from Geo Community into a sub folder
under usr/local/share/xastir/maps  did tar -xf filename to unpack them,
ran the chmod commands listed int he README.MAPS.

Only one of the maps  could be seen in the map chooser and loaded.  The
rest or them would list when the folder was reindexed, but never
appeared in the chooser.

I deleted all of them ( except for the tar files) and downloaded a bunch
of tif files from the state DNR website.  Immediately upon starting
Xastir, one of them appeared on the screen.  I tried to zoom out and it
disappeared.  All of them are visible in the Map chooser, but none will
appear.

Any clues for me?

Many thanx............. jt

--