[Xastir] Trouble with ddf and tif maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 18 12:13:44 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Jim Tolbert wrote:

> I down loaded several 24k  DEM maps from Geo Community into a sub folder
> under usr/local/share/xastir/maps  did tar -xf filename to unpack them,
> ran the chmod commands listed int he README.MAPS.

Xastir doesn't currently support DEM maps.  Those are considered to
be raster maps in the GDAL code, and the raster/GDAL code for Xastir
is incomplete.  We have support for some vector maps via GDAL, but
not all of those either.

> I deleted all of them ( except for the tar files) and downloaded a bunch
> of tif files from the state DNR website.  Immediately upon starting
> Xastir, one of them appeared on the screen.  I tried to zoom out and it
> disappeared.  All of them are visible in the Map chooser, but none will
> appear.

Are they USGS geoTIFF format or did they modify them?  Some of the
state sites crop the white borders, save them in MrSID format which
we can't read, or otherwise muck with the TIFF format to save space
on their site.  We can read the original USGS geoTIFF format just
fine.