[Xastir] Tiger2006 - dbfawk

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 25 10:22:20 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Lee Bengston wrote:

> When I opened up the polygon dbf file in
> a spreadsheet, I found a column that had the lake names in it.  Does this
> mean when I read up a bit more on dbfawk I can find a way to tweak the
> existing dbfawk file to get the lake names to show up?

I believe that is correct.  Other's have played more with dbfawk
than I have and will probably answer.

> On dbfawk, what does it take to build dbfinfo - possibly "make dbfinfo" from
> inside the shapelib config directory?

It looks like the Makefile there isn't quite correct.  Not on my
system anyway.  I managed to rename Makefile_orig to Makefile and do
"make dbfinfo" to get it.  A "make" at that stage results in another
executable getting compiled and then I get an error and it bombs
out.

Originally I made the tools from a full Shapelib distribution.  I
haven't tried building them from Xastir's version of the same.
Perhaps others have.

> Also, on the alternative testawk - I
> can see the testawk executable file, but it does not appear to be
> installed.  I get a "not found" type of message when I try to testawk
> anything.

You should be able to run it from the directory it exists in.  It's
just not in your path, which is fine.  Either of these methods
should work:

    cd <directory where testawk resides>
    ./testawk <filename>

or

    /directory/where/testawk/resides/testawk <filename>