[Xastir] AGWPE

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Sat Jun 2 19:42:57 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2 Jun 2007, Tom Hayward wrote:

> What type of resource does Xastir categorize AGWPE as?

A network interface.

> I'm virtualizing the OS Xastir is running on, and I get TNC data to
> Xastir via an AGWPE network connection. I'd like Xastir to gate
> everything it hears from the AGWPE connection to the internet.

Isn't going to happen.  We don't have any code to gate between
network feeds.

> I'm curious whether this is working though, because when I look at the
> incoming data, filtered to just TNC data, I don't see anything.

Yep.  That's a great clue that it's the wrong type of interface for
what you're wanting to do.

> Granted, AGWPE is a network feed and logically would be categorized
> that way, but it's also the direct feed from a TNC.

But could be the direct feed from LOTS of TNC's...  With the current
AGWPE code, if you had more than one TNC under AGWPE's control, ALL
of the packets from all AGWPE-connected TNC's would get received by
Xastir on that one interface.  If you had multiple connections to
AGWPE you'd be getting duplicate packets from each interface.
There's no way to separate them out to individual TNC streams.  We
could redo the code to fix this of course, either by throwing away
packets that didn't come in on that interface, or perhaps by coding
to a different AGPWE API, but we haven't done so.  We don't have a
high percentage of people using this interface.

> Am I correct to assume that with my current configuration, I won't be
> IGATEing anything?

Yes.

> How can I make Xastir gate data from AGWPE?

Patches to the code.  Perhaps several.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer