[Xastir] Compiling - Make & Make Install crash

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 20 16:48:54 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jun 20, 2007 at 01:39:02PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <shortsheep at worldnet.att.net> flavor, containing:
> I've judiciously followed all the instructions including the Readme.W32.
>
> Bootstrap.sh bombed, so I ran each command separately and it seemed to
> configure
>
> Fine, although with a few errors.  When I run MAKE I get ERROR[1] and
> ERROR[2]

If there were a few errors, it wasn't fine.  You should post the actual
errors that boostrap produced, because "error[1]" and "error[2]" from make
aren't really the problem (they're just generic error messages with no
information in them).

> And it says no target.  (configure seemed to  take about 20 minutes??)

Yes, configure on cygwin is glacially slow even on a fast, memory rich machine,
and 128mb is barely enough to build xastir under cygwin (it might not even be
enough).

"no target" means that configure failed and failed to produce a makefile.  So
the real problem exists prior to typing "make".

> I'm trying to install on a PII-366 Dell laptop with 128mb and a 60gb drive.
>
> I only have dial-up so downloads are excruciatingly slow.

> Any suggestions?  Oh yeah, I'm running Cygwin.  If this is too problematic,
> I have
>
> Redhat I can dual-boot on this machine but I haven't installed Linux yet.

Installing xastir on a Windows machine with only 128mb will be a very
frustrating experience.  It took forever and a day on an 800MHz, 256MB laptop
I had until I added a 512MB SODIMM.

You might have a little better luck with the vmware approach, but that 700MB
download wouldn't be fun on dialup.