[Xastir] Xastir on rugged/small devices- Nokia N800

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 26 12:31:54 EDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 08:59:35AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > Nothing for it but for us to start designing Qt into the long-overdue
> > Xastir 2.0.  :)
>
> As I recall, there's no license fee anymore for Qt on Windows if
> it's a GPL'ed project either.  That would limit anyone wanting to
> take Xastir commercial on Windows, but that's about it.  Well, not
> actually limit, but require paying licensing fees for that platform
> in that instance.
>
> Wouldn't help on the N800 though.  It's Gtk+.  So which would we
> want to support?  Gtk+ or Qt?  I'd rather stick with the least
> restrictive option, which I think is Gtk+.

The Right Thing To Do is to separate the GUI from the main code in a clean
design, so selection of a toolkit can be done in a higher level, with a
good design pattern.

I'm thinknig Qt is a better toolkit at this point than Gtk/Gtk+, but that's just
coz that's the one I'm planning on using for my DF fixing code and I'm
spending time learning it.