[Xastir] Window managers

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 19:09:14 EDT 2007

--- "J. Lance Cotton" <joe at lightningflash.net> wrote:
> on 5/18/2007 2:28 PM Curt, WE7U said the following:
> > On Fri, 18 May 2007, Rice, MA Mark @ IS wrote:
> >> By the way, is there a feature in Xastir to set
> the number of log files
> >> rotated so that if I wanted to keep a week (or
> two) of logged data, I
> > You could always write a short script to snag the
> files periodically
> > and save them somewhere else.  Could even smarten
> Or, I don't know, there might be a program already
> installed on most Linux
> machines. Maybe along the lines of `logrotate`.
> Check /etc/crontab or
> /etc/cron.* folders for a logrotate config file and
> let your system do the work.

Aha, but logrotate assumes that it can somehow issue a
signal to the program generating the logs (such as a
SIGHUP or SIGUSR1) and that the program should
understand that such a signal means to flush and close
the log then reopen it.  I don't believe Xastir
responds to a signal just as yet to accomplish this
which means the original poster would still have to
modify the code such that Xastir would respond to a
signal such as SIGUSR1 and know to drop and pick back
up the logs.

If this does not occur within Xastir, Bad Things (TM)
may happen later when it comes time for logrotate to
compress the older logs.

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/