[Xastir] Feature idea for Xastir

Tate Belden kc7zru at kc7zru.net
Thu Oct 4 20:03:15 EDT 2007

Jason Winningham wrote:

> On Oct 4, 2007, at 1:27 PM, William McKeehan wrote:
>
>> This would require Xastir having an "http" style
>> server that would serve up pages and would respond to certain queries
>> with XML
>> code.
>
> Nice idea - this would be a reasonably easy interface for add-on tools.
>
> This makes me think of the Xastir version 2 database engine.
> Developers, any  thoughts on v2?
>
> -Jason
> kg4wsv

Not being a developer - just one of the long time spong.. er, users of
their effrots - I'd ask that whatever database implementation is used,
that it *NOT* be limited to any one particular flavor/brand of server.
I'm thinking that may be a bit to ask for - special not knowing the
effort it'd take to write.

I already have a SQL server running, hosting quite a few databases:
dynamic sites, wikis, discussion boards, etc. It makes me cringe a bit
to think of having to install, configure and run another server just cuz
it didn't match the one I already had. (I'm intentionally trying to
avoid saying any particular flavor/brand).

Is that even possible? To standardize on a generic 'SQL' so a specific
set of features offered by any one SQL server don't dictate that server
and only that server can be used? I mean Xastir has a reputation for
running on a LOT of different systems already....

Tate, KC7ZRU