[Xastir] Lockups using maps again

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Jul 1 12:24:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Alex Carver wrote:

> --- On Sun, 6/29/08, Curt, WE7U  wrote:

> > On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Alex Carver wrote:
> >
> > > Well I was wrong, even using Fluxbox the system locked up again
> > > while attempting to download the radar image.  It seems to have
> > > timed out on the download and then froze at that point, unable to
> > > recover.
> >
> > If you're running wget w/Xastir, install libcurl and libcurl-devel
> > and configure/make/make install again.
> >
> > If you're running libcurl, remove libcurl-devel and
> > configure/make/make install.
> >
> > Like I said in an earlier e-mail, I haven't lockups due to failures
> > at loading internet maps.  They fail gracefully.  There may be a bug
> > in your wget or libcurl (whichever you're using).
>
> I should also point out in addition to swapping methods that under
> Fluxbox the lockup period is longer than under Gnome.

Another thought:  It could be the ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick
having a bug, or causing stress to your in CPU or memory usage
during the display of the downloaded map.

Look in ~/.xastir/tmp/ directory for files like map.png, map.gif,
etc.  The one with the most recent timestamp is the last one you
downloaded from the internet.  See if the image looks ok.  See if
IM/GM can display it ("display filename" or "gm display filename").

See if you can catch the problem happening.  We need to somehow
determine whether libcurl/wget, IM/GM, or Xastir are the problem.
Isolating the cause is much more difficult when it doesn't happen
often.

If it can be repeatable in a few minutes, you can turn on max
debugging and capture that to a file.  That might tell us a whole
lot more about what it was doing when it froze..

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer