[Xastir] Lockups using maps again

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 13:55:16 EDT 2008

--- On Tue, 7/1/08, Curt, WE7U  wrote:

> From: Curt, WE7U
> Subject: Re: [Xastir] Lockups using maps again
> To: "Xastir - APRS client software discussion" <xastir at xastir.org>
> Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 12:24 PM
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Alex Carver wrote:

> Another thought:  It could be the ImageMagick or
> GraphicsMagick
> having a bug, or causing stress to your in CPU or memory
> usage
> during the display of the downloaded map.
>
> Look in ~/.xastir/tmp/ directory for files like map.png,
> map.gif,
> etc.  The one with the most recent timestamp is the last
> one you
> downloaded from the internet.  See if the image looks ok.
> See if
> IM/GM can display it ("display filename" or
> "gm display filename").
>
> See if you can catch the problem happening.  We need to
> somehow
> determine whether libcurl/wget, IM/GM, or Xastir are the
> problem.
> Isolating the cause is much more difficult when it
> doesn't happen
> often.
>
> If it can be repeatable in a few minutes, you can turn on
> max
> debugging and capture that to a file.  That might tell us a
> whole
> lot more about what it was doing when it froze..

I'll check these as soon as I can.  ImageMagick isn't running according to top when the lockup happens.  Unfortunately it's not a few minute lockup.  Under Gnome it took at least a day or two to lock up.  Under Fluxbox it takes several days.  In both cases it's happening only with an NWS radar map (the only maps loaded other than the Tiger shapefiles).  For a while, everything works as expected.  The radar map (a single radar since I'm zoomed into one state for the most part) downloads and displays fine.  Then one day I'll walk by the machine and notice nothing is updating.  The last message left in the status bar is always referring to the NWS map when I see it locked up.  Prior to this everything (except a malfunctioning mouse) was working just fine.  So the system is completely junk free and up to date as far as I can tell.  Xastir was compiled from CVS.