[Xastir] digipeater coverage plots

Dick Repasky dick.repasky at gmail.com
Sun May 11 10:41:40 EDT 2008

I'm interested in plotting digipeater coverage, and this message can be
viewed as a feature request or a request to know where it has been
implemented.

Our ARES and RACES groups often support bicycle rides, runs, and relay
races that take us out into the county far from digipeaters and often
into hilly terrain. To fill gaps in coverage we deploy fill-in
digipeaters. If we could plot coverage of digipeaters, we could more
easily judge our fill-in digi's and possibly move them to better locations.

Coverage could be constructed from incoming packets.  The first digi on
the packet path is the first digipeater to pick up the packet, and the
packet location provides the coordinates of a place that is covered by
the digipeater.

Coverage could be plotted using convex polygons that enclose the set of
pick-up points for each digipeater.  Polygons for different digi's could
be colored differently. And, points of pick-up locations could be
plotted using the same color as the polygon, jittered slightly to make
visible instances in which two digi's pick up the same packet. Ideally,
  locations would be stored over some period of time, rather than
working with only the most recent station reports.

Does anyone know where this idea has been implemented?  Is the xastir
crew interested in implementing it?

Thanks,

Dick Repasky