[Xastir] Xastir ./configure setup

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun May 18 13:26:33 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:11:52AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kc7zru at kc7zru.net> flavor, containing:
> Tyler,
>
> You need to install the X development packages for your system. These are
> the headers and other files (libraries) other programs use to compile
> against X. Not just the binaries you already have installed to run X. If
> you were to install a precompiled, binary of Xastir - you wouldn't need the
> development packages. But, since you're compiling from source, the
> compilers need other information to 'play nice' with your existing system.
>
> You may well run into more development packages that are needed before you
> get a successful compile.
>
> I don't use Ubuntu and don't know how their package management works, but
> on Fedora, you'd run (as root or use sudo):
> yum groupinstall "X Software Development" <enter>
>
> I'm sure Ubuntu has something similar.
> A quick google yields this:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/7.10/server/C/package-management.html
> At the least, that should get you on the right track.

The collection of packages needed to build Xastir on Ubuntu versions 6.10
and 7.04 are on the Xastir wiki at http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_6.10

Very little has changed between 7.04 and 8.04 in this department, so the
instructions will get you close.  There are a few packages that have
version numbers in their names, and those are probably not going to work ---
just use Synaptic to grab whatever more recent package of the same base
name exists now.

The wiki page should get you going just fine once you get the correct packages
installed.