[Xastir] bootstrap.sh error

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 21 23:24:49 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:44:18PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <lee.bengston at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Hello,
>
> I tried installing XASTIR from CVS today for the first time in
> Mandriva 2008.1 (Spring), and I got the following text when executing
> the bootstrap.sh script.
>
> 6) Removing autom4te.cache directory...
>     5) Running aclocal...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 16: aclocal: command not found
>     4) Running autoheader...
> autoheader: error: AC_CONFIG_HEADERS not found in configure.ac
>     3) Running autoconf...
> configure.ac:19: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:26: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONFIG_HEADER
> configure.ac:249: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CHECK_GMTOFF
> configure.ac:490: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
>     2) Running automake...
> ./bootstrap.sh: line 26: automake: command not found
>     1) Checking for 'mkinstalldirs'... Found!
> Bootstrap complete.
>
> Automake and autoconf are installed.  It appears automake is not in
> the path for some reason.

You'll have to make sure automake is installed in a standard path.  It could
be that your mandriva package puts it in a strange place or gives it a
name other than "automake" (e.g. with a suffix).

If the package is installed as you say it is, where does it put automake?
Can you just add that directory to your path?

The other errors you're seeing seem to indicate that there are other issues,
too.  "aclocal" is part of automake, and it's not getting found, either.

> As a sanity check, I downloaded the March, 2008 Xastir 1.93 tarball
> from sourceforge, and it compiled just fine - of course, no bootstrap
> required.

Tarballs never require bootstrap, because it's been done before the tarball
was bundled.

 "It's so simple to be wise: just think of something stupid to say and
  then don't say it."  --- Sam Levinson