[Xastir] WX updates and comments

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 10 12:34:57 EDT 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Mike Swiatkowski, AA9VI wrote:

I haven't played much with being a weather station so can't answer
your first two questions without looking at the code.  Hopefully
others can.

> 3. TNC stuff.  I finally got my AEA PK-96 to work with xastir, but
> under regular TNC mode.  Is there a way I can get it to work in
> KISS mode?  There is a default startup script that xastir has in
> it for AEA that allows it to work in TNC regular mode.  How to I
> set up this script for KISS mode?

Set the TNC into KISS mode externally, perhaps using "Minicom"
against a serial port that Xastir isn't using at the time.  After
that, create a new interface in Xastir using the "Serial KISS
Interface" type.  Use that instead of the "Serial TNC" interface
you're probably using now.

If you want to configure AX.25 kernel networking and get it going
that way, that's another option, but the setup is much more
involved.  The advantage there is that you can share the TNC among
multiple apps and direct TCP/UDP/IP packets in/out that interface as
well as APRS packets.  Some people configure Digi_NED or aprsd to
share the interface with Xastir to provide added functionality.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer